Monday 20 July 2015

All yours, Stranger by Novoneel Chakraborty: a review


As I have always written all these years and I will continue writing, the brand name of ‘Novoneel Chakraborty’ is the only reason I reach out to the book. But today, I would like to say that it is more than the name of the author, it is about the protagonist of the book- The Stranger that pulls me towards the book.  All yours, stranger- the second and awaited book of the stranger trilogy is something that had kept me on the edge of my seat. 

The cover of the book, after the cover of Book 1, catches a lot more attention. The color combination and the photograph to be specific, fits in perfectly with the flow of the book. Before I divulge much about my feelings for the book, here is a sneak peak of the blurb of the book and before that, I can’t stop myself from saying- SOME MYSTERIES ARE DANGEROUSLY SEXY.


From the back cover of the book- For those of you who don’t know me yet, I’m Rivanah Bannerjee, a Kolkatan trying to find her footing in Mumbai. Even though I’m currently in a relationship with a great guy, I can’t help but miss my ex-boyfriend despite knowing that he cheated on me. But that’s the least of my worries. The stranger has gone missing since the police tried to nab him unsuccessfully. Where is he? What does he want from me? Why did he come into my life in the first place? Will he ever contact me again? These and many more questions continue to torment me every day. I’m desperate for the stranger to come back to me, knowing full well that he may destroy me forever. But then that’s the sexiest thing I have ever known about someone. With every revelation, it seems the truth is far more twisted than Rivanah can imagine. Wickedly plotted, All yours, Stranger- Novoneel Chakraborty’s gripping follow-up to his hugely popular Marry Me, Stranger- will keep you on the edge of your seat until the last page.


Yes, I know! I had the same reaction. While reading the blurb and then when I started the book, from the prologue, it kept me on the edge of my seat with my heart beats accelerated throughout. It was one point where I even thought that the author is stalking my life and writing the book on it. Believe it or not, when I had a discussion with my friends and fellow readers regarding the same, they had an exact similar reaction. That’s the beauty of a Novoneel Chakraborty book. Oh wait, that’s the beauty of the stranger!


To talk about the stranger is something that I don’t want to do much. For the people who haven’t read the book, I would suggest them to read Marry me, stranger before starting this book. The stranger is a person with no face, no identity, no voice, no address but all that the stranger has is an intention. The intention is not revealed yet. The stranger is neither a friend nor a foe. The stranger is simply- The stranger. Known for his strong female characters, Novoneel has out-powered himself and brought into life the character of the stranger.


Having said that, I would also like to compliment the writer on the character of Rivanah. She is one character who is very much like you, me and every other girl of the world. Coming to the story, as it was in Marry me, stranger; Rivanah’s life, the people in her life, complications, happiness, sadness and the stranger, all in all makes the story a worth reading one. Not only once, but even twice and even then you’d have the same goose bumps while you are reading. The dialogues given to the characters, especially to the stranger are something that will give the thrill of your life.


Written in a very typical Novoneel Chakraborty flow, the book has more to offer than what it shows. Unlike a few other trilogies’ I’ve read, even if you read just Book 2, you’ll get the plot and understand what had happened in Book 1 but the feel only comes when you have read Book 1. Both the books are an experience to behold for a life time. The mystery deepens as you flip through the pages. For the end of book 2, I would like to say that it was a bit abrupt.


I say abrupt because when the last page ends and you get to see- “To be continued” All you can feel is a sudden pang of emptiness. I, as a reader, read so many books and so many different genres and types of them. But there are very less books which leave me speechless. This book managed to do what the likes of big authors do. Coming to the errors, I would like to say that there are a few printing errors of the book, which are negligible when the book is read in a certain flow that the book offers.
Apart from that, there are no such errors in the book. Since the expectations have raised two-three notches higher, I can only wish the author loads of luck for Book 3 – the final book of the stranger trilogy, hoping that winter 2015 comes soon. For me, the book is 4.75 out of 5. (If only it was an endless book, I would've rated it 5).



There are many dialogues from the book which I want to quote to end this review but the only reaction I have right now is – I’m all yours, stranger!!

No comments:

Post a Comment